rainbow birthday party!

Rainbow parties are super fun!  It was totally overboard for a 1-year-old party, but we combined with Ruby's cousin, Violet, and the rainbow theme was so fun, and let's be honest ... I just got carried away.  :)

We had a blast with our rainbow treats and rainbow outfits and rainbow decorations.  It resulted in two very happy birthday girls.

 See the girl's rainbow dresses posted here, and directions to make a lickety-split birthday crown here.

I couldn't have pulled it off without my in-laws ... the sister-in-laws were enthusiastic decorators, and grandma and grandpa were the grill masters, whipping up a delicious BBQ dinner.  Thanks, guys!

The decorations were fairly simple.  We made a streamer canopy inside the shade tent, hung paper lanterns (remember them from my spring Relief Society activity?), and a watch-me-grow birthday banner.  I really liked the rainbow circle garland I saw at Sweet and Lovely Crafts, so I made a smaller version.  The dots were punched out of rainbow colored card stock using a 1-inch scalloped circle punch, and sewn together on the sewing machine.  Easy, peasy.

The bean bag toss was fun for the kids.  There was no formal game or prizes ... it was just out for fun.  I got the idea from born.in.japan, and just ran with it.

I also used some toys we already had as entertainment:  a tunnel to climb through, a kid's play parachute, and all the rainbow baby toys I could round up for a little baby zone in the shade.

There were jars of crayons on the table with cute rainbow coloring pages (courtesy of Style Me Gorgeous) for anyone interested in coloring.


I didn't do an over-the-top dessert table that are so popular these days, but there were plenty of goodies to go around.


My big splurge for the party was this rainbow popcorn, to go into those beautifully cut rainbow popcorn boxes.  I ordered it online from Sakida.  It was tasty, but if I had to do it again, I would have tried to make it myself.  Just be warned - the shipping is atrocious (which I did not know until I received my invoice - ouch).  It sure looked pretty though.


A much bigger hit with the crowd was the layered rainbow jello.   It was kind of beautiful, and delicious!  Get the recipe at Glorious Treats.  I have an aversion to Cool Whip, so I substituted vanilla yogurt and it was really yummy.  Two tablespoons of each layer is just enough to fill a clear 8-ounce plastic cup.


Of course, you can't have a rainbow birthday party without doing THE rainbow cake.


I wanted it to be the real deal, so I went directly to the source - Whisk Kid.  She may or may not have been the first person ever to make a rainbow cake, but she certainly started the internet sensation.  Whisk Kid's cake recipe was the perfect amount for a 6 layer cake.   I used my go-to Wilton Buttercream Icing recipe for the frosting.

The reaction from the party-goers when I cut into this cake made the effort of baking it so worth it.  It tasted great, too!  Ruby was supposed to have her own little cake, but I had a gluten-free baking fail.  So she ended up with gluten free cupcake from Santa Barbara's most delicious bakery, Jeanine's, and she devoured it with gusto.


I sent our little guests away with some gold coins (idea found at the blog, it is what it is) - as you know, there is always gold at the end of a rainbow (party).  Bulk gold coins found at Smart & Final.


As my nephew frequently reminded me, "Jill has gone rainbow crazy!"  It was such a fun day, and while I know Ruby won't remember it when she is older, she can look at pictures of this party and know her mama really loves her.

47 comments:

Annette said...

WOW!!!! You can throw a great party!!! The girls must have so much fun!!!

Amanda @ Gratefully Growing in Grace said...

I want a re-do on my daughter's first birthday. This looks like it was so much fun to put together and experience!

Nancy said...

Well done Jill, it all looks so exciting, colourful and fun!! It also seems very appropriate to have a rainbow themed party for "Ruby" and "Violet":) Thanks for sharing!

Lumos Design said...

wow that party totally rocks:))))

Naomi said...

Wow!! It was a beautiful party!! My niece is having a rainbow brite party for her party and these ideas are inspirational!! Thanks for sharing!!!

lisa said...

What a great theme! Looks like a lot of work, but a lot of fun!

Ani said...

That looks wonderful! Thanks for so many ideas! I'm sure it was a hit!

rebekah said...

I've been following your blog awhile! What a coincidence that this weekend we both had Rainbow parties for our children. Come visit my blog and take a look! :) I love your games and the cute gold coins. Great job - looks like they had a wonderful day! :)

Carla said...

Jill you are truly amazing and yes rainbow crazy, but that's why your Megan's friend! My oldest saw the cake and thought it was amazingly cool and would love to have one, too bad you aren't here in St. Louis in April!

Leighann said...

Thanks for posting all the wonderful ideas. My 4 yr-old, about to turn 5, asked for a cake with a rainbow and birdie on it. I am going to surprise her with THE rainbow cake everyone is doing. Now I have some decoration ideas to go with it. Happy one-year to Ruby!

Amanda Joy said...

It turned out great! I love how everything came together. I want to do a rainbow party for St. Patrick's Day with all the neighbor kids:)

Tori said...

This looks like so much fun! I love all the details! You are very talented!

miamihoney said...

Awesome party! Rainbows is a great theme!!

Deanna said...

wow!!! You totally rock!!! I read your blog religiously, but rarely comment...but I LOVE your ideas and I LOVE the way you present them!!! Thanks for inspiring!!!

Emily said...

What a lovely party and fun pictures!! I love your rainbow jello! I will have to remember your vanilla yogurt tip. :)

BECKY said...

so perfect :)

Ashley said...

It looks so fun and cute!!! I may just steal it for my daughters 2nd birthday in January! Thanks for sharing with us!

Sarahendipity said...

Can I just say how refreshing your party is? Thank you for showing/sharing how adorable and simple a homemade party can be. I was recently looking over party planning blogs and I was utterly depressed. There is no way that a person can duplicate what ideas are out there. I have been a huge fan and enjoy your blog so much. I am now excited about planning my soon-to-be six year old's party again. Thank you, Jill!

Tamara said...

oh jill, you've outdone yourself!!!

Sarah said...

Once again Jill... you've thrown a fabulous party! I love the idea of combining the cousins. I need to remember that!

Sarah said...

What a simply amazing party! The details were amazing (as was the cake!)

Vanessa said...

When you first said you were throwing a rainbow themed birthday party, I was a bit unsure how that would be pulled off, but that was BY FAR the. BEST. birthday party I have EVER seen on this planet! You have totally inspired me to do an awesome job for Cai in two months!

Jeanette said...

Come-on. . . don't call the dressed up dessert tables "over the top"-- We're all just trying to do fun things that our kids will love and our friends will admire.

Your party was totally cute--great work.

Anonymous said...

Totally, totally awesome Jill! We SO wish we could have been there to join in the fun. :( Glad the kids had a blast, though.

Alyssa

Jess said...

I've been waiting for this post! what an amazing party-I just adore all the details you paid so much attention to!
We're headed down to Santa Barbara next week for a little getaway-I can't wait. Do you love living there?

homemade by jill said...

Jeanette - I wasn't trying to be rude. I think dessert tables are beautiful and inspiring! But I also think they are too much for toddler birthday parties. Save them for the big kids and adults. :)

Lil Mama Stuart said...

great job! Love all the attention to little details :)

Christina said...

What a wonderful party!

Jeanette said...

I love coming to your blog for great inspiring ideas.

beth said...

Thanks for linking over to me. What an amazing party--I love all the colorful details!

Leslie said...

This is just so much fun!!!! Color explosion!

L
adventuresofoldandnew.blogspot.com

Nancy's Couture said...

I would have done anything to have a rainbow party like this when I was little! What lucky little girls you have :o) That rainbow popcorn is soooo pretty. Imightjust have to try tomake some of that.

Danielle said...

What a colorful party! And, a nifty bean bag toss to boot. :)

sweet & lovely crafts said...

Looks like the girls had a lovely party. I love the bean bag toss that you made!!

Ashley said...

Love this. Happy Birthday, Ruby :)

kendra said...

hi there. LOVED the party decorations. We are having a rainbow theme next wk for my daughter turning. I was wondering if you still had the rainbow toss game.. if so i would love to have it.. text me at 812-582-2989 and let me know.. SO CUTE. thanks for sharing. gonna try the jello :)

homemade by jill said...

Kendra - I still have it! Can you please email me? I'm not a big texter. homemadebyjill@gmail.com

thanks!

Lyla's Mommy said...

Almost a year later....I just recently decided to throw a rainbow themed party for my daughter, Lyla's first birthday party. When I googled ideas, I had NO IDEA how popular the theme was! Her birthday is in April and I can't wait to bring all these creations to life. You did such an amazing and job and your girls must be so proud to have you as their Mommy :)

Rainy said...

This is absolutely PRECIOUS. What a great party. You are so creative! I love it. Thanks so much for posting!

Anonymous said...

Very cute theme! I just thought of doing the rainbow theme for my 5yr old daughter this summer, because I wanted to move away from the "pink" and when I was browsing online, I was so happy to see all the wonderful creations for this theme! And I agree with you 100% about your child may not remember their birthday, but the pictures are definitely a sweet memory to look back at and say YES my mommy does love me. Very Sweet! Congrats on a successful party :)

Chloe Crabtree said...

Love the Rainbow Party! How luck these two little girls are to have such a creative Mom!

Anonymous said...

What a great party. Wonderful ideas!

dora the explorer birthday party said...

Wat a great colorful theme, thanks for sharing such a wonderful ideas...keep it up..!!!

Becky said...

very cute party. Got excited when I saw you might be giving away a rainbow toss game -- until I saw that the post was from last year!

Donna said...

love it, I need to steal some of the ceiling decor for my Mom's 70th. just over the top cute.

prakash chauhan said...

Awesome!!! Party Decorators is one of the most important part of party venues and also make a party most memorable day of your life....

Clara Barton said...

Sharing ideas we used for our The children birthday party miami